The women (and this year, one young lady!) were poised and profound and glowing. If you missed the luncheon, here’s a bit of wisdom from the women at the podium:
- “I am not the victim of my circumstances, I am the beneficiary of my choices.” -Ursula Bacon.
- “You don’t have to lower your expectations. Instead, raise the reality.” -Judie Hammerstad, talking about the gap between what we’d like to see in the world and what is actually there.
- “To someone who sees a need and digs in to help.” -the inscription on an award–which was a shovel–given to Bonnie Jepsen.
- “I am inspired by people who at one time didn’t have hope, be able to then give hope.” -Janie Johnson
- “I have learned that great joy, suffering and sorrow sit side by side. The dying share with us how to live our lives more fully.” -Barbie Rice
- “When I became involved in community service projects I realized that by getting drawn in I had th opportunity to make a difference in others’ lives.” -Bianca Paul
And though she wasn’t an honoree today, our emcee Tracy Barry sent us all off with a fitting quote from Anne Frank: “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”