Sixteen exceptional nurses from across Oregon were recognized Friday, November 2, 2012, at the annual March of Dimes Nurse of the Year awards breakfast, presented by Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). With nearly 400 nurses nominated, the state-wide committee selected 16 winners in a blinded process.
While the immense value and profound effect that all nurses have on our lives was noted and celebrated, these 16 nurses were acknowledged for their constant care, compassion and dedication to improve the quality of others’ lives through service. And the winners are…
2012 Nurse of the Year Awards:
- Advance Practice: Yun Long Ong, Oregon Health & Science University
- Charge Nurse: Cindy Bell, Oregon Health & Science University
- Community Health: Charmika Schuster, Oregon Health & Science University
- Critical Care: Kate Thomas, Legacy Meridian Park Hospital
- Distinguished Nurse of the Year: Leda Isabel Garside, Tuality Healthcare
- Emergency: Jeri Foster-Horrocks, Mid-Columbia Medical Center
- General Medical & Surgical Services: Jennifer Zeck, Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center
- Hospice, Home Health,Long Term, Rehab & Pallative Care: Kathy Graham Gadler, Legacy Hospice
- Mental Health: Marianne Zundel, PeaceHealth Sacred Heart
- Nurse Educator: Patricia Gilbert, Mid-Columbia Medical Center
- Nurse Leader: Nancy Simonson, St. Charles Medical Center
- Pediatrics: Allison Franco, Doernbecher’s Childrens Hospital
- Rising Star: Faisal Mutua, Legacy Emanuel Hospital
- Small Hospital: Melodi Johnson, Mid-Columbia Medical Center
- Women’s Health: Amy Kaiser, Tuality Healthcare
Chaired by Dr. Joe Robertson, President of OHSU, and emceed by Amy Troy, anchor for KOIN Local 6 (watch the clip here), this event was a benefit for March of Dimes. With the support and involvement of 40 health organizations and medical centers, Nurse of the Year raised nearly $90,000 to help fund the mission of improving the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality.
Committee members include: Lauren Bridge, Chief Nurse Executive at Providence Milwaukie Hospital; Theresa Brock, Vice President of Nursing at Good Shepherd Health Care System; Joe DaFoe, Chief Clinical Officer at Columbia Memorial Hospital; Kathy Hale, VP Of Patient Care, Samaritan Health; Sarah Horn, Family Birth Center Manager, Salem Health; Carmen Jacobsen, RN Assistant Manager, Short Stay Surgical Unit, Providence Milwaukie Hospital; Ruby Jason, Division Director, Women and Children’s Dorenbecher Children’s Hospital, OHSU; Linda Kroeger, Chief Nursing Officer, PeaceHealth; Marcy Manning, Charge Nurse of Family Birth Center at Tillamook County General Hospital; Sandra Montminy, Emergency Room Director at Adventist Medical Center; Lynae Moor, Director of Family Birth at Adventist Medical Center; Syndee Lytle, Nurse Manager of Women’s Health & Birth Center at McKenzie-Willamette Medical Center; Helen Phillips, Director, Women’s Services at Legacy Health; and Regina Rose, Chief Nursing Officer at Mid-Columbia Medical Center.
Presented by Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), the March of Dimes Oregon Nurse of the Year is also sponsored by Cambia Health Foundation, Kaiser Permanente, Legacy Health, Providence Health & Services, PeaceHealth, Samaritan Health, Tuality Healthcare, St. Charles Medical Center, Columbia Memorial Hospital, Adventist Health, KOIN Local 6, MW Photography and PSAV Presentation Services.