Many famous people were born with birth defects. Here’s a quick list:
- John Henry “Doc” Holliday, an American cowboy, was born with a cleft palate.
- John Cougar Mellencamp, an American rock and roll musician was born with spina bifida
- Troy Aikman, a former quarterback with the Dallas Cowboys, was born with a club foot.
- Stephen Hawking, a famous physicist, was born with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- Frida Khalo, a Mexican painter known for her use of vibrant colors and indigenous Mexican cultures, was born with spina bifida.
- Kristi Yamaguchi, a famous figure skater was born with club foot.
- George Gordon Byron, a famous romantic English poet better known as Lord Byron, was born with a club foot.
- Woody Guthrie, an American folksinger who wrote “This Land is Your Land,” was born with Huntington’s disease.
- Sir Walter Scott, a famous Scottish author, was born with a club foot.
- Tutankhamen, an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh, may have been born with a cleft palate.
To learn more about birth defects and how you can help, visit marchofdimes.com.