Are you passionate about March of Dimes? Have you had a premature baby or a baby born with birth defects? Want to share your story to inspire others to help all babies be born healthy?
Applications are now open for our 2015 Official Ambassadors!
If you live in Oregon or SW Washington and are able to speak at local events and to the media about your experience, fill out the Official Ambassador Application 2015 and turn it in (instructions included on the form) by Monday, September 29th.
Posted in Ambassador, Facts and Figures, In the News, March of Dimes, Our Volunteers | Tagged 2015, Ambassador, March of Dimes | Leave a Comment »
We’re excited to announce our 2014 Community Grants to organizations working for improved infant and maternal health throughout Oregon and SW Washington.
The Greater Oregon Chapter community grants program is designed to invest in priority projects that further the March of Dimes mission, support national campaign objectives, and further our strategic goal of reducing disparities in birth outcomes.
Selected by our Program Services Committee, this year’s grants are awarded to:
- PeaceHealth SW Medical Center Foundation – $20,000 to support the program design for a CenteringPregnancy start-up at Vancouver Clinic/PeaceHealth SW Medical Center.
- Catholic Community Services – $14,000 to fund a Neighborhood Connectors program which will increase outreach, education and referral of pregnant women in six high poverty neighborhoods in Marion and Polk Counties.
- North Central Public Health District – $14,000 to implement a combination of Centers for Disease Control’s Every Woman Every Time and the One Key Question Initiative on preconception education and prenatal outreach and referral in Wasco, Sherman and Gilliam Counties.
- Healthy Birth Initiative-Multnomah County Health Department (MCHD) – $12,000 to incorporate a 5A’s type smoking cessation program called SCRIPT into the services offered by the Healthy Birth Initiative case management services and train 10 MCHD employees and community partners to deliver the program.
- NEOPDX – $10,000 to provide the STABLE program to critical access hospitals in Oregon for training in neonatal resuscitation and stabilization and training on indicators for appropriate transfer.
More good news: we award community grants each year. A request for proposals for the 2015 grants will go out later this fall.
Posted in Facts and Figures, In the News, March of Dimes | Tagged babies, community, community grants, infant health, March of Dimes, maternal health | Leave a Comment »
Now accepting nominations for 2014 Nurse of the Year Awards!
Know an outstanding nurse or two who works in Oregon or SW Washington and deserves some recognition? Here’s your chance to tell the world about the wonderful work they do! Nominations in 17 categories are open now through August 19th and there is no fee to submit one (or more).
Finalists will be announced at the Nurse of the Year Awards breakfast on October 24, 2014, at The Sentinel Hotel (formally The Governor Hotel) in downtown Portland. More information about the awards and how to submit one or more nominations or register for the event is available at marchofdimes.com/Oregon.
Posted in March of Dimes, March of Dimes Event | Tagged March of Dimes, nurse of the year, nursing, Oregon, sw washtington | Leave a Comment »
March is National Optimism Month and we have something that will raise your hopes not only for the babies we’re helping with our research, but also for a fun-filled family vacation!
Six Family Teams will win a trip for four team members to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida!
- The Top 3 Family Teams in the U.S. with the most money raised will each win, and
- 3 additional Family Teams will be selected by a random drawing to win (you’ll get 1 entry for every $500 raised by your Family Team)
Winners will get air travel, 3-night hotel accommodations and a 2-day Park Hopper pass for 4 team members! Some restrictions apply. Please see this pdf for more details and how to qualify.
Posted in Facts and Figures, March for Babies | Tagged family team, March for Babies, walt disney world | Leave a Comment »
Mary Pat Janowski has done it again! She’s the first to reach Top Walker status for the 2014 March for Babies!
A Top Walker is someone who raises $1,000 or more for March for Babies; and Mary Pat done that plus at least $230 more! One of our most dedicated volunteers, Mary Pat has served as Official Ambassador and on the Family Team Committee and Communications Committee.
Congratulations Mary Pat! And THANK YOU!
Posted in Ambassador, Facts and Figures, March for Babies, Our Volunteers, Top Walker | Tagged March for Babies, March of Dimes, mary pat janowski, Top Walker | Leave a Comment »
We are excited to introduce you to our Official Ambassadors for 2014:
- The Helms Family of Hilsboro, OR
- The Olsen Family of Philomath, OR
- The Zeulner Family of Portland, OR
They all know the struggles that come with premature birth and are working with March of Dimes in hopes that fewer families will the experience they did.
You can read their stories here.
Posted in Ambassador, March of Dimes, Our Volunteers | Tagged ambassadors, helms, March of Dimes, olsen, premature birth, zeulner | Leave a Comment »
4 lbs, 8 oz
Five years ago, Katrina Janowski was born 8 weeks too soon. After spending 22 days in the NICU, she got to come home. On that day she weighed exactly 4 lbs, 8oz; the same as the bag of chocolate chips she’s holding in this photo.
Katrina and her family have been raising money and awareness for March of Dimes to help give babies a healthy start in life. You can help them. Donate to their March for Babies team here, or visit marchforbabies.org and start your own team.
Posted in Ambassador, Facts and Figures, March for Babies, March of Dimes, Our Volunteers, prematurity | Tagged Ambassador, katrina janowski, March for Babies, March of Dimes, premature birth | Leave a Comment »